IndustriesFood Contact Materials
On January 10th, 2020, the National Food Commission has opened a public consultation on the proposed labeling of food containers and utensils in direct contact with food in the units of sale to the public and in the commercialization intended for industrial use (G/TBT/N/ARG/384).
The Resolution includes the following mandatory labeling information:
- Denomination or the specific description of the container or utensil, including the identification of the material or constituent materials of the product (must be consistent with that assigned in the sanitary authorization)
- Brand name, when applicable (must match the declared in the sanitary authorization)
- Origin identification (name or company name of the product holder such as processor, fractionator, importer or owner of the brand and its address)
- Country of origin
- Instructions for use, where applicable
- Measures and / or capacities of the product, when applicable
- Lot identification
- Identification of plastic materials when applicable
- Information must be written in Spanish with characters of good size (not less than 2mm), enhancement and visibility, without prejudice of the existence of texts in other languages
The Resolution aims to prevent undesirable practices that may harm and mislead the consumers. The public consultation will be closed on February 9th, 2020.