IndustriesTextiles, Apparel and Footwear
ServicesAudits Expedited Compliance Services Global Market Access Inspections Testing UL's SmartInsights™ Global Market Access Platform
ASTM International has published ASTM F1816 — 18 Standard Safety Specification for Drawstrings on Children’s Upper Outerwear to reduce strangulation and vehicular dragging hazards associated with drawstrings on children’s upper outerwear.
This standard specifies the following performance requirements:
- There shall be no drawstrings in the hood and neck area of children’s upper outerwear sizes 2T to 12.
- Drawstrings at the waist and bottom of children’s upper outwear sizes 2T to 16 shall:
- Not exceed 3 in. (75 mm) in length outside the drawstring channel when the garment is expanded to its fullest width
- Have no toggles, knots, or other attachments at the free ends, and
- Ensure proper drawstring stitching at the back center of the channel to prevent the drawstring’s being pulled through its channel
The type of clothing covered by this specification is girls’ and boys’ clothing, such as jackets and sweatshirts, generally intended to be worn on the exterior of other clothing with sizes 2T to 12.