ServicesInspections Regulatory Compliance Audits Responsible Sourcing SmartInsights™ Global Market Access Platform Testing
The European Commission (EC) has proposed a Directive on the Reduction of the Impact of Certain Plastic Products on the Environment (2018/0172/COD) on May 28, 2018.
This proposal regulates the placing of single-use plastic products and fishing gear containing plastic in the market.
The proposal contains the following:
- All the necessary measures should be undertaken to achieve a significant reduction in the consumption of single-use plastic products listed in Part A of the Annex.
- The placing on the market of single-use plastic products listed in Part B of the Annex should be prohibited.
- Single-use plastic products listed in Part C of the Annex bearing caps and lids made with plastic may only be placed on the market if the caps and lids remain attached to the container during the intended product use stage. Other details on product requirements are provided in Article 6.
- Marking requirements applicable to single-use plastic products listed in Part D of the Annex are listed in Article 7.
- Article 8 provides conditions on extended producer responsibility applicable to single-use plastic products listed in Part E of the Annex.
Initial proposal has been completed while environmental impact assessments and stakeholder consultation are continuing.