On February 18th, the European Commission (EC) has published Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020⁄217 of 4 October 2019 amending, for the purposes of its adaptation to technical and scientific progress, Regulation (EC) No 1272⁄2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council on classification, labeling and packaging of substances and mixtures and correcting that Regulation.
The amendments to the existing Regulation (EC) No 1272⁄2008 on classification, labeling and packaging of substances and mixtures are as follows:
- Section 2.12 is added to Annex II containing Special Rules for Labeling and Packaging of Certain Substances and Mixtures. The requirements of the additional section contain:
- 2.12. Mixtures containing titanium dioxide
- The label on the packaging of liquid mixtures containing 1 % or more of titanium dioxide particles with aerodynamic diameter equal to or below 10 μm shall bear the following statement: EUH211: ‘Warning! Hazardous respirable droplets may be formed when sprayed. Do not breathe spray or mist.’
- The label on the packaging of solid mixtures containing 1 % or more of titanium dioxide shall bear the following statement: EUH212: ‘Warning! Hazardous respirable dust may be formed when used. Do not breathe dust.’
- In addition, the label on the packaging of liquid and solid mixtures not intended for the general public and not classified as hazardous which are labelled with EUH211 or EUH212, shall bear statement EUH210.’
- Part 3 of Annex III containing the Supplemental Label Elements / Information on Certain Mixtures is amended by adding the rows EUH 211 and EUH 212 pertaining to the prescribed warning statement in different member states’ languages.
- Point 188.8.131.52 of Annex VI containing Notes Relating to the Identification, Classification and Labeling of substances is amended by adding the notes V and W.
- Part 3 Table 3 containing the List of Harmonized Classification and Labeling of Hazardous Substances is also amended
This Commission Delegated Regulation shall enter into force on March 9, 2020. However, application period varies. For instance, the correction made on the row referring to Index No. 648–055-00–5 shall apply from December 1, 2019 while the amendments made to various Annexes shall apply from September 9, 2021.