ServicesAdvisory and Education Chemical Management Expedited Compliance Responsible Sourcing SmartInsights™ Global Market Access Platform Testing
The European Commission (EC) introduced Mandate N° M/497, requesting that the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) develop standards or specifications for sleep bags, cot bumpers and cot duvets in an effort to minimize the risks for babies and young children using these products in a sleep environment. Information in these standards will included safety requirements, test methods, warnings, and safety instructions for adult users on how to address potential hazards. The following standards are now ready to be published:
- EN 16779–1:2018 — Textile Child Care Articles — Safety Requirements and Test Methods for Children’s Cot Duvets — Part 1: Duvet (excluding duvet covers).
- EN 16780:2018 — Textile Child Care Articles — Safety Requirements and Test Methods for Children’s Cot Bumpers.
- EN 16781:2018 — Textile Child Care Articles — Safety Requirements and Test Methods for Children’s Sleep Bags for use in a Cot.
Hazards these standards are attempting to address include:
- Internal asphyxiation (choking)
- Hyperthermia (overheating)
- External asphyxiation (suffocation)
- Injuries due to falls
- Injuries due to ingestion of small parts
- Injuries due to chemicals
Requirements in these standards include:
- Specific design characteristics requirements
- Small parts testing requirements
- Flammability requirements
- Chemical hazards requirements
- Thermal hazards requirements
- Specific labelling and marking requirements