ECHA – a pilot project to verify compliance with the notification and communication obligations of substances (SVHC) in articles in REACH has started.
The pilot project aims to:
- check compliance of producers, importers and suppliers of articles with their obligations (Articles 7 and 33 of the REACH Regulation) – related to SVHC
- contribute to raising awareness and understanding of the legal obligations and in turn raise the level of compliance among duty holders;
- build a better picture of the actual level of compliance by suppliers of articles;
- identify the reasons for non-compliance and whether further actions are required (e.g. support to duty holders) by ECHA, the Commission and/or competent authorities of the Member States; and
- gather experience and establish enforcement methods for potentially checking these obligations on a larger scale in the future.
CONSUMER ARTICLES are examples of targeted articles.
The project include specific substances that will be targeted (e.g. phthalates, perfluorinated substances, brominated flame retardants)
Inspections will include:
- On site or desktop inspections
- Taking samples
- Chemical analysis
The operational phase of the project started in October 2017 and will run until the end of June 2018. A report of the results is expected by the end of November 2018.