In June 2020, the new EN 14350:2020 “Child care articles — Drinking equipment – Safety requirements and test methods” was published.
New or updated mechanical requirements include:
- Decoration, inscription and decals
- Push-pull valve
- Protective covers
- Handles and clips
- Cords or loops
- Finger traps
- Consumer packaging and product information
Chemical requirements and test methods are defined for materials including rubber, silicone, thermoplastic elastomers (TPE), metal and glass and for exposures like mouthing and swallowing that were recently not covered by harmonized legislations.
For this reason, some substances such as phthalates and bisphenol A (BPA) have been removed because other European Union directives covered them.
The main changes can be summarized as:
- Four new chemicals under antioxidant release test have been added
- Four new requirements of formaldehyde, colorfastness, primary aromatic amines and migration from glass and metal have been added
- The test method for volatile compounds content has been updated
- Heavy metals migration has been updated by testing 8 elements to 19 elements
- Limits for antioxidants were revised except for 2‑mercaptobenzotriazole (MBT)
- New limit for formaldehyde migration 0.5 mg/l
Please contact us for additional clarifications.