On December 10th, the European Commission (EC) has proposed to decrease the migration limits of aluminium in toys by amending point 13 of part III of Annex II to the Toy Safety Directive (2009/48/EC).
The current migration limits for aluminium are:
- 5625 mg/kg for dry, brittle, powder-like or pliable toy material
- 1406 mg/kg for liquid or sticky toy material
- 70000 mg/kg for scraped-toy material
The proposal is significantly revising the migration aluminium limits to:
- 2250 mg/kg in dry, brittle, powder-like or pliable toy material
- 560 mg/kg for liquid or sticky toy material
- 28130 mg/kg in scraped-off toy material
Compliance with the proposed migration limits can be verified with the test method set out in the European Standard EN 71–3:2013+A3:2018.
The proposed date of adoption is the second quarter of 2019, with a proposed date of the last quarter of 2020 for entry into force.