IndustriesTextiles, Apparel and Footwear
The European Commission (EC) has published Regulation 2018/1513, amending Annex XVII to Regulation No. 1907⁄2006 (REACH). This update effects certain substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction (CMR).
These new restriction, which are listed in entry 72 in Annex XVII, REACH, apply to:
- Clothing or related accessories
- Textiles other than clothing that come into contact with human skin to an extent similar to clothing under normal or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use
33 CMR substances that are included in this restriction can be grouped as:
- Heavy metals (compounds of Cadmium, Chromium VI, Arsenic, Lead)
- Chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons
- Certain solvents
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Carcinogenic dyes, Azodyes and Arylamines
The restriction will be applicable to products placed on the market after November 1st, 2020.