The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has published ISO 8124–6:2018 Safety of toys — Part 6: Certain phthalate esters in toys and children’s product on November 7, 2018.
The standard cancels and replaces the first edition (ISO 8124–6:2014) to provide the following changes:
- Addition of di-iso-butyl phthalate (DIBP) in Clause 1 and Annex A
- Addition of liquid material in Clause 1, Clause 7 and Annex A
- Addition of a new Clause 2, Normative references, and renumbering of subsequent clauses
- Addition of a new method C, “ultrasonic bath method”
- Update and reorganization of the inter-laboratory collaborative trial test data in Annex B
- Addition of a new Annex E, Ultrasonic bath performance check, and renumbering of all annexes
This standard also specifies a method for the determination of di-iso-butyl phthalate (DIBP), di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP), benzylbutyl phthalate (BBP), bis-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), di-n-octyl phthalate (DNOP), di-iso-nonylphthalate (DINP) and di-iso-decyl phthalate (DIDP) (as specified in Annex A) in toys and children’s products.
This standard applies to toys and children’s products which are made of plastics, textiles, coatings and liquids.