MarketsMiddle East and Africa
On December 16th, 2019, the Moroccan Ministry of Industry, Trade, Green and Digital Economy has announced the implementation of a new procedure on products imported into the country. The procedure called Verification of Conformity (VOC) programme is part of the implementation of Law N°24/09 relating to the safety of products and services.
The procedure will be launched on February 1st, 2020 wherein importers of controlled products covered in the regulation are required to provide a certificate of conformity issued by approved inspection bodies.
After the transition period from February 1st until April 20th, 2020, any shipment without the certificate from the inspection bodies will not be allowed to enter the Kingdom of Morocco.
The types of products covered are the following:
- Electrical appliances
- Other electrical products
- Construction materials (pipes, sheets, sanitary equipment, insulation, wooden panels, cement, windows, glass)
- Gas/oil appliances
- Toys, parks and baskets for children, baby diapers, furniture
- Textiles, shoes, leather, clothing
- Chemical products (detergents, paint, bitumen, matches, lighters)
- Plastic products (plastic packaging/bags)
- Products in contact with food (kitchenware, crockery)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), helmets for motorcycles
- Automotive spare parts (tyres, automotive parts)
Some of these products are subject to verification on arrival only. This regulation does not apply to food products.