On November 7th, 2018, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) published ISO 8124–6:2018 Safety of toys — Part 6: Certain phthalate esters in toys and children’s product.
The standard cancels and replaces the first edition (ISO 8124–6:2014) and provides the following major changes:
- The addition of di-iso-butyl phthalate (DIBP)
- The addition of liquid material
- The addition of a new method C, “ultrasonic bath method”
- An update and reorganization of the inter-laboratory collaborative trial test data
- The addition of a new Annex E, Ultrasonic bath performance check
This standard specifies a method for the determination of di-iso-butyl phthalate (DIBP), di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP), benzylbutyl phthalate (BBP), bis-(2‑ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), di-n-octyl phthalate (DNOP), di-iso-nonylphthalate (DINP) and di-iso-decyl phthalate (DIDP) in toys and children’s products.
ISO Technical Committee 181 — Safety of Toys is also working on the development of the following standards:
- ISO 8124–9 “Safety of Toys- Part 9: safety aspects related to mechanical and physical properties comparison of ISO 8124–9, EN 71–1 and ASTM F 963”
- ISO 8124–4 “Safety of toys — Part 4: Swings, slides and similar activity toys for indoor and outdoor family domestic use”
- ISO 8124–10 “Safety of toys — Part 10: Experimental sets for chemistry and related activities” and ISO 8124–11 “Safety of toys — Part 11: Chemical toys (sets) other than experimental sets”
- ISO 8124–3 “Migration of certain elements” – migration limits for Boron (preliminary work item)
- Re-instatement of ISO/TC 181/WG 7 – Age determination, and adoption of a Preliminary Work Item (PWI) regarding a revision of ISO TR 8124–8:2016 – Age Determination Guidelines
- ISO 8124–12 “Safety of toys — Part 12: Microbiology”
- ISO 8124–1 prA1. Flying toys – prA2 Various for alignment
UL is a member of ISO/TC 181 and is directly participating in the developments of the Safety of Toys standards.