IndustriesFood and Beverage
ServicesAdvisory and Education Regulatory Compliance Audits Testing UL SmartInsights™ Global Market Access Platform
The Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) of South Korea has issued MFDS Notification No. 2018–32 Partial Amendment to the Labelling Standards for Food (Food Allergens).
This Notification revises the labelling standards of food containing allergens. The revision includes:
- Addition of “pine nuts” as one of the food allergens that cause severe allergic reaction to children.
- Mandatory labelling for food additives such as liquid nitrogen, liquid carbon dioxide, dry ice and nitrous oxide.
- Addition of the phrase “조리예 (cooked)” on products using pictures of cooked food.
- Indication of the parts used other than ginseng roots.
- Indication of the soybean content in menu (fermented soybean brick).
- Indication of food additives in 100% reduced juice.
- Deletion of the generic name of the food when it is used as a product name.
This amendment will be enforced beginning on January 1, 2020.