This notice specifies that manufacturers must comply with the new migration limits, which apply to a range of products including toys and textiles used by children under 13.
The total content must not exceed 0.1% for the following phthalates:
- di-(2‑ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP);
- dibutyl phthalate (DBP);
- benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP);
- diisononyl phthalate (DINP);
- diisodecyl phthalate (DIDP); and
- di-n-octyl phthalate (DnOP).
The appendix to the standards contains the recommended test methods for companies to follow.
This notice also sets the following:
- migration limit of 75 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) for formaldehyde migration in textiles designed to come into contact with skin
- limit of 30mg/kg will apply to aromatic amines (In textiles, this applies to dyed components that may come into contact with skin.)
All products should also be pH tested to ensure they fall into a standard range of 4.0–7.5.
19 March 2020
4 June 2020