ServicesCurrent Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) Global Certification Inspections SmartInsights™ Global Market Access Platform Testing Validation and Verification
On June 29, 2018, the Korean Agency for Technology and Standards (KATS) updated a notification on Safety Standards for Household Products to prescribe the safety standards of household goods that are subject to safety standards in accordance with the Enforcement Regulations of the Safety Management Act of Electrical Goods and Household Products.
Manufacturers or importers of household goods subject to safety standards must comply with the specifications of their respective annexes which include:
- Safety certification/safety confirmation/supplier conformity report shall be exempted when products subject to safety certification/safety confirmation/supplier conformity are imported through parallel import (Article 8 (3), Article 12 (3), and Article 14 (3);
- Establishment of measures such as suspension of sale etc. when harmful household products are distributed (Article 15 (4);
- Establishment of measures to secure the safety of raw materials and materials used in products subject to safety control (Article 19);
- Implementation of penalty rule for cases where a person imports, displays and stores household products subject to safety standard conformity without appropriate safety standards label and marking (Article 20).
The notification also updated 23 annexes subjected to this safety standard including the following:
- KATS Notification No. 2018-195 Annex 1 — Textile Products — Safety Standards for Household Products Subject to Safety Standards
- KATS Notification No. 2018-195 Annex 3 — Leather Products — Safety Standards for Household Products subject to Safety Standards
- KATS Notification No. 2018-195 Annex 10 — Senior Shoes — Safety Standards for Household Products Subject to Safety Standards
- KATS Notification No. 2018-195 Annex 22 — Metal Jewelry in Contact with Skin — Safety Standards for Household Products subject to Safety Standards
This notification takes effect on July 1, 2018.