US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued Bare is Best: Safe Sleep Tips to provide parents and consumers with useful tips to give infants the safest sleep environment possible.
The tips are:
Back to sleep
- Always place baby on back to sleep—this helps prevent suffocation and reduces SIDS.
- Use a crib, play yard and bassinet that meets current CPSC standards. Follow manufacturers’ assembly directions for play yards, and do not add extra padding, pillows, blankets or other soft bedding.
- Use a firm, tightfitting crib mattress.
- Regularly check crib for loose, missing or broken parts or slats.
- Keep baby monitor cords, lamp cords, telephone cords, and night light cords at least 3 feet away from the crib. Children can wrap the cords around their necks and strangle.
- Be sure to check if your nursery items have been recalled.
The tips was made public on September 11, 2017.